Most frequently asked questions about microblading & powder/ ombre brows
Microblading is a form of semi-permanent makeup that involves a trained professional using a sterile tool comprised of tiny needles to manually break the skin in order to deposit pigment that creates individual hair strokes. These individual hair strokes create a natural looking brow that can last anywhere from 18-24 months depending on skin type (normal, oily, dry). If you are very oily, microblading may not be for you, as your natural oils will push the pigment out of your skin faster and may require a touchup within 9 months.
The powder technique utilizes a specially designed semi-permanent makeup pen to quickly deposit pigment into the brow to create a powder like effect. This technique can also be used to create ombre brows. Perfect for all skin types, especially oily skin, the powder technique can be combined with microblading to create a softer looking brow.
Contraindications (those not eligible for microblading, microblading, powder/ombre brows or lip micro-pigmentation services)
- If you are under the age of 18, we cannot provide you with microblading services even if you have a parent’s consent.
- Individuals using blood thinners of any kind, especially long term, or those with blood disorders may have difficulty with bleeding and/or bruising and this can affect the healing process. The application of semi-permanent makeup requires implanting color into the skin, and the aforementioned conditions could interfere with depositing the color. You must consult your doctor and provide documentation from your physician stating you are cleared to receive microblading services.
- Diabetics may experience a more difficult time with healing and must obtain written consent from a physician stating your health will not be compromised should you undergo the semi-permanent makeup procedure.
- If you are prone to keloids, this procedure may not be for you. A small area can be tested to ensure microblading won’t cause such issues and must be done 4 weeks prior to your appointment date.
- The use of Retin-A or similar retinoids must be stopped 7 days prior to your procedure and cannot resume for another 30 days after.
- If you have an Auto Immune Disease, please consult your physician and obtain a letter stating you are cleared to receive microblading.
Those who suffer from epilepsy need a physicians approval prior procedure.
- Brows are cleansed.
- Pictures are taken.
- Numbing cream is applied.
- We go over all paperwork together and discuss what to expect from the appointment, as well as, your aftercare instructions.
- Natural brows are assessed and pigment colors are swabbed on forehead to choose the best natural color and we go over where your natural brows begin, peak and end.
- Shape is drawn on to provide a guideline for where the hair strokes are placed and both client and artists will agree upon the best shape and stray hairs are removed.
- First pass or strokes are applied (deposit of color).
- Second numbing agent is applied to broken skin.
- Second pass or strokes are applied (deposit of color).
- Excess pigment is applied to broken skin for 5-7 minutes.
- Pigment is removed and skin protectant is applied.
- After photos are taken.
The entire process is approximately 3 hours.
*Your touch-up appointment is scheduled for approximately 4-6 weeks after initial appointment for optimal results. (Please see additional note about touch-up below.)
While everyone’s pain tolerance varies, we do our best to minimize any discomfort you may feel by using topical numbing agents. You are welcome to take an Advil or Tylenol prior to your appointment, but NOT Aspirin.
Ladies, your sensitivity increases when you are menstruating. Please keep this in mind when booking your appointments.
- Your brows WILL BE DARKER the day after your session for up to 7-10 days while you’re healing.
- Scabbing/flaking is normal and will vary from client to client. During this process you may lose pigment. This is normal. Please DO NOT pick or peel your brows, as you can remove all of your pigment. Let them peel on their own.
Aftercare Instructions: (detailed instructions will be provided during appointment)
- Avoid submerging your face in water (includes the shower, pools, beach, etc) for 14 days. If you need to clean your brows, do so by only using water on a clean cloth and patting the brows.
- Apply skin protectant for 14 days.
- No aspirin or alcohol 48 hours prior to your appointment or for the first 3 days after your session.
- DO NOT peel or pick at your brows during the healing process, as it may damage the skin and prematurely remove pigment.
- Avoid eyebrow tinting for 48 hours before and at least 2 weeks after your session.
- Avoid excessive sweating (WORKING OUT), pools, sun tanning and tanning beds for 14 days.
Do NOT ever use any anti-aging products, exfoliants (chemical or mechanical) or Retin A on or around the brow area.